Speech & Language Pathology and Audiology

Regulatory Responsibility: Although a national exam is required, the state board, or council grants Speech and Language Pathology (SLP) and Audiology (AUD) licenses. Most jurisdictions have independent state boards overseeing SLPs and Audiology combined, but some jurisdictions have boards as part of state medical boards or combined with other professions.  Licensure for hearing aid distribution may also be included within the same state board.

All 50 states and the District of Columbia now regulate audiologists and SLPs through a state agency. *States have individual differences in requirements. For SLP and Audiology requirements by state see http://www.asha.org/advocacy/state/ » /p>

Exam: The National Examination, often referred to as the Praxis, for SLPs and AUDs is typically taken by examinees who are in or have completed their program.

"Certified" means holding the Certificate of Clinical Competence (CCC) that requires a completion of a postgraduate clinical fellowship. 

Program Accreditation: Accreditation is offered by the Council on Academic Accreditation in Audiology and Speech-Language Pathology (CAA) of the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association (ASHA). For a list of accredited programs in each state see http://www.asha.org/uploadedFiles/CAAAccreditedPrograms.pdf » .

National Professional Organization: American Speech Language Hearing Association www.asha.org  »

Steps to Licensure:

  1. Complete an accredited program
  2. Take and pass national exam
  3. Obtain CCCs*
  4. Apply for state licensure

*Kansas does not require CCCs

graphic illustrating 4 steps to take to obtain speech and language certification already listed

Speech and Language Pathology and Audiology Kansas Requirements and Licensure Information »